Thursday, October 15, 2009

Old Neighbors Reunite

It's always good to see familiar faces. But when it's not planned, it's even better. Our old neighbor (and grandfather to good friends of ours from the 1970s) is next door to Dad at Brookestone. I just talked to Mom -- I'm enroute back to Portland for a 12 hour layover -- and she said she was seeing quite a few of the old crew.

Things with Dad remain the same. He's sleeping nearly all the time, so please don't worry about waking him up if you come to visit. Try a couple of times before giving up if you don't get a response. If we didn't wake him, he probably would sleep through meals and his speech and occupational therapy.

Probably this weekend we'll dig in to see what options we have for Dad if he's not able to stay at Brookestone per Medicare guidelines. I'm going to talk with the Oncology office tomorrow to see what suggestions they have for inpatient hospice care in the Omaha area. If any of you reading this have experience with that and have recommendations, please send me an email or make a comment here and I'll get in touch with you.

Final Note: A huge shout out to Jeff Rott in Portland for going above and beyond for me today. I somehow lost my car keys on the journey to Omaha last week, and he went to the house, got my spare set, and went down to put the spare key on the tire so that when I got in tonight I'd have a fast trip back to my house before shuttling back to PDX tomorrow morning. Thanks also to Alice and Scott for their help in coordinating, and for the ride tomorrow. I hope someday to be able to repay you all for the generosity!

2 comments:

Elaine, Ralph and Diane said...

Wish those of us from Arizona (Elaine), Ohio (Ralph) and Utah (Diane)were closer so we could help. So we send prayers and a card is on it's way. Keeping our fingers cross the "get well place" lives up to its name!

Anonymous said...

These times are so difficult that I don't even know what to say. You know our prayers and love continue to be with you all. I am so glad Butch isn't in any pain and seems to rest comfortably!

My Uncle passed away in August after a 6 month battle with cancer. He was in the Ashland Care Facility the whole time. When his time came for Hospice they used a frim called Odyssey. They are out of Fremont and Omaha. These people were angles on earth! They were not only awesome to my Uncle showing him so much care and dignity, but so comforting to the whole family. The information and care they provide are beyond words.

If you would like more information let me know and I will be happy to get it for you. My Uncle was on Medicare as well and I believe Odyssey was on their approved list. He was able to stay at the Ashland Care Center while receiving Hospice care from Odyssey.

Love and strength to each of you!

Jodi