Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sometimes kids say it better than adults

The unenviable job fell to Tracy and Rich today to tell the kids about Grandpa's going to Heaven. Their reactions brought the house down.

Dillon wrote the letter to the left. Tears.

Both Dillon and Emily wanted to write notes to Grandpa, and tie them on a balloon so they make it up to him in Heaven. Then Emily, ever the logical one, said: "Hopefully it gets up there before a bird swoops in and pops the balloon."

Sam (age 3) said: "When I'm 18, I'm going to get a van and drive to Heaven and bring Grandpa back to you, Mom."

We had a good evening with the kids, and dinner from Dottie (thanks!). It had been a while since all of them had been out here, so the first step towards accepting the change is underway.

The day was very difficult - a lot of phone calls, visitors, deliveries, and emails sent in support. All we can say is Thank You. We always knew that Dad was an incredible man. It seems that you all felt the same about him. He will be sorely missed.

4 comments:

The Kelly Family said...

I'm crying from reading this, I cannot imagine what a tough day(s) it's been for all of you. Thank God for children to help us see it all from a different light. Take care. I'm so glad you're all here for each other.

Jamie Kelly & family

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do.

Trevor Gillett
402-686-9278

Anonymous said...

I could barely get through those words-but then know, first hand, that those same words from the ones speaking them help with the pain and emptiness today and many days to come--you will always have the spirit of Dad with you and enjoy passing the stories on to them and with each other--Sorry seems minimal to the loss you feel.
Love,
Marsha Kubica

Unknown said...

I echo what Jamie said. This brought me instant tears. Funny how kids can make you laugh and cry all at once. I hope you are all getting rest and finding peace during this extremely difficult time.
Love,
Katie, Andy, Clara and Milo